Want to make your own Buttercream Icing right at home? Here's Buddy Valastro's favorite recipe.
- 7½ cups powdered (10x) sugar
- 2¼ cups vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
- 1½ tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- Put the sugar, shortening, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and padded at a low-medium speed until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps (approximately 3 minutes).
- With the motor running, add water in a thin stream.
- Continue to paddle until absorbed (approximately 3 minutes).
About 6 cups
To color your buttercream icing, mix food coloring in with a rubber spatula until the icing is uniformly colored. The amount may vary and will be based on the brand of the food coloring and how light or dark you want your icing to be. Buddy recommends food-coloring gel because it is less watery and easier to work with. Start with a few drops and add more as you mix. If you are making a dark color, like black, the cream can become loose or watery in which base you should mix in extra powdered sugar until the texture is as desired.
Want to save yourself time? Order our ready-to-use Italian Buttercream Icing online today in several delicious flavors.