This light and fluffy sponge cake recipe from Buddy Valstro will have everyone at your gathering begging for another slice.
Italian Vanillla Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Buddy Valstro Buttercream Icing
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl or in a stand mixer for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing for 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add this mixture to the sugar and eggs and mix on low speed until well-combined.
- In a saucepan, heat butter and milk on low until well-combined.
- Add the milk and butter mixture to the batter and mix until combined.
- Grease 2 8" round baking pans. Pour mixture in to pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the center of the cake bounces back up when touched.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Turn pans upside down to remove cake. Let cool on a wire rack before decorating.
Refrigerate or freeze until ready to decorate. If desired, top with Buddy Valastro's Buttercream Icing.