For National Donut Day we wanted to make sure our furry friends could join in on the fun and have a special donut-y treat along with us humans! So, we've come up with a yummy dog-approved donut recipe for you to make at home! And you'll even get all the credit! (and kisses) This recipe is all-natural and will make your dogs go nuts! (do-nuts, that is)
So let's get to it!
- 3 Cups - Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ Cups - Oat Flour
- 1 tsp - Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Large Apple - washed, peeled, and grated
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Cup - Water
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add all your dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk: whole wheat flour, oat flour, and ground cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Then add water, grated apple, and coconut oil. Mix together.
- Add your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix together.
- Knead the dough with your hands until the ingredients are combined.
- Roll the dough out to be about ¼ inch thick. Cut out circles using a cookie cutter or anything else you can find that is circle-shaped. For the hole of the donut, you can use a small-cap from a bottle or another small circle. You could even use a small heart or star cookie cutter. Whatever you have on hand is fine!
- Place the donuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet (pat yourself on the back!)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Add greek yogurt to a small bowl and add honey a teaspoon at a time to create a thicker consistency.
- Add a thin layer on top of the donuts after they have cooled. Put in the freezer for about 30 minutes to harden.
Store the donuts in a container inside the fridge for up to 7 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.